I can’t believe how fast the year has passed; it’s mindblowing the velocity that time flies and thinking about that freaks me out a little. But when I look back moment-by-moment, I feel so happy, because I can see everything that happened and every place that I was fortunate to visit. It’s a good exercise to stop and think about all those moments that took your breath away during the year, the big and the small ones.
I saw a Christmas advertisement from a Brazilian bank recently that touched me, and that fit quite well this moment. There are always beautiful ads during the holidays, but this one is the best I’ve seen so far. It’s about a grandmother sending a message to her grandchildren, it’s called “Letter to Grandchildren”, and it goes like this:
“I’ll teach you to connect two devices that are much more complicated than any computer: Time and Life.
And the first thing you need to know about the connection between time and life is: Life is much more important than time.
When you get to my age, you’ll see that we do not remember that much from the time we spent, but we do remember very well of each important moment that we lived, no matter how long it has passed.
So, my beloved grandchildren, keep this message in your memory and in the memory of your computer: Time is worth what we do with it and the most important thing in life is not the hours nor the minutes, but the moments we live together. Happy 2017!”
– If you understand Portuguese and wants to see the full vídeo, here’s the link to it –
And with that message in mind, here are my 20 best travel moments of 2016
1. Exploring Nice by the sunset during a quick trip
2. Getting lost in the gothic quarter in Barcelona
3. Exploring Monaco for a few hours
4. Walking around Foz da Ribeira in Porto
5. Seeing the most beautiful sunset in Lisbon
6. Visiting the Torre de Belém
7. Discovering the historic Obidos in Portugal
8. Cruising the Brazilian coast
Read more: Pros and cons of making a cruise
9. Getting to know Antwerp like a local
10. Visiting Ghent for the first time
Read more: Pictures to inspire you to visit Ghent
11. Enjoying a weekend in Den Haag and surroundings
12. Exploring my first Scandinavian city, Copenhagen
Read more: Tips to save money in Copenhagen
13. Spending an afternoon in Malmo, Sweden
14. Falling in love with Paris
15. Biking in the countryside of Amsterdam
16. Eating and drinking well in Brussels
17. Being guided through the historical side of Bruges
Read more: How is the free walking tour in Bruges
18. Discovering Luxembourg
19. Spending a pleasant afternoon in Durbuy
20. Getting to know more about my own country at Salvador da Bahia